To use a custom domain such as *.umich.edu (example.umich.edu) instead of *.umichsites.org:
- Go to the WordPress Dashboard
- Go to Tools -> Domain Mapping
- Add your custom domain
- If you want this to be your primary domain (e.g. the one users see in the address bar) then check the “primary domain” checkbox.
- If the new domain has not been pointed to your *.umichsites.org domain then you will want to do that before checking the “primary domain” checkbox. You can change the primary domain at a later date from the “Domain Mapping” page.
- Send a request to email@example.com requesting a security certificate be procured and installed for the primary (umich.edu) domain. Ideally this would happen one week before you wanted your primary domain to be live.